Wednesday, April 22, 2015

How Boss Battles Can Help You In Life

     Here we go. You've spend countless hours battling the enemies outside, getting stronger. The doors are opening. Here goes nothing, "Leroy Jenkins!!"
The boss battle is one of my favorite parts of video games, from the Gym Leaders in Pokemon to the Dragons in Skyrim, to pretty much everything in Dark Souls 2. The challenge, the frustration, enjoying the silliness of some bosses and remembering the scariness of other bosses late at night. But did you know that bosses can help you in life? Its true so lets take a look with Life, The Video Game:
     The boss battle has several main components that are in all video games, even Life these are:
  • There is a time and place associated with it. Whether it is after start date or before an end date, whether it is the gym or your backyard the boss battle will start somewhere and it will end somewhere.
  • The boss is challenging. Yes, even that bug queen in the first dungeon is challenging. This is something that we don't like to do: challenge ourselves. We like to coast, whether it be in our jobs, our schoolwork, our family life, etc. So what the boss does is force you to challenge yourself. For example I obviously don't challenge myself to write here consistently so that will be my goal: by May 18 I will have written and published 1 post a week. (Hold me to that guys.)
  • There is a reward. That's right: you get stuff for defeating that boss. When you defeat a boss in a video game you get something, whether it be a new weapon, new item slots open in your inventory, cool armor. So when you plan your boss have a reward be part of the planing process. Not something anti the boss, like saying: if I go to the gym everyday this month I'll eat a whole pizza on the last day. That's silly and undermines both your accomplishment and your goal, but chose something that you will like. For example: if your goal is to run everyday for a month maybe your reward is that new pair of running shoes you saw in the store. So for my reward: if I write and publish a post every week until May 18 I'll get Y the Last Man Vol 1. 
     Anyway I hope this helps you guys out in some way or another. See you all next week in the next post.

Photos from Newgrounds.com artist ravenhart. and bitlanders.com